Texas Enterprise Zone Program
The Texas Enterprise Zone Program is an economic development tool for local communities to partner with the State of Texas to promote job creation and significant private investment that will assist economically distressed areas of the state. Approved projects are eligible to apply for state sales and use tax refunds on qualified expenditures. The level and amount of refund is related to the capital investment and jobs created at the qualified business site.
|Level of Capital Investment||Maximum number of jobs allocated||Maximum potential refund||Maximum refund per job allocation|
|$40,000 – $399,999||10||$25,000||$2,500|
|$400,000 – $999,999||25||$62,000||$2,500|
|$1,000,000 – $4,999,999||125||$312,500||$2,500|
|$5,000,000 – $149,999,999||500||$1,250,000||$2,500|
|Double Jumbo Project
$150,000,000 – $249,999,999
|Triple Jumbo Project
$250,000,000 or more
- A local community must nominate a company as an Enterprise Project to be eligible to participate in the Enterprise Zone Program. Texas law limits the number of allocations that may be awarded to local communities per biennium.
- In order to qualify a project for the Enterprise Zone Program, local communities must offer incentives to the project such as tax abatement, tax increment financing, and one-stop permitting.
- Communities may nominate projects, for a designation period up to five years, non-inclusive of a 90-day window prior to the application deadline. Employment and capital investment commitments must be incurred and met within this timeframe.
- Projects may be physically located in or outside of an Enterprise Zone.
- If located within a zone, the company commits that at least 25 percent of their new employees will meet economically disadvantaged or enterprise zone residence requirements.
- If located outside of a zone, the company commits that at least 35 percent of their new employees will meet economically disadvantaged or enterprise zone residency requirements.
- Under limited statutory provisions, an enterprise project designation may be granted for job retention.
The application must be filled out in part by the city and in part by the business. The city will submit the application on behalf of the business.
The state accepts applications quarterly with deadlines on the first working day of March, June, September and December.
IMPORTANT: Please note that there is a new revision of the Enterprise Project Application form dated 10.15.13. Applications submitted AFTER December 2013 must use the new application form in its entirety.
Download application materials:
- Enterprise Project Application
- Additional Participating Entities Form
- Participating Consultant Form
- Sample Nominating Ordinance or Order
- Sample Nominating Resolution
- Sample Corporate Resolution
- Request for Verification of Deposit Form
- Enterprise Project Assignment Application Form
- Enterprise Project Name Change Application Form
- 2014 EZ Mandatory Participating Community Annual Report Form
The Enterprise Zone Program is administered through the Office of the Governor, Economic Development Bank.
After approval, to receive the tax refund benefit, please contact the Comptroller of Public Accounts: (512) 305-9897.
- Texas Enterprise Zone Program Overview Brochure
- Enterprise Zone Program Statutes, Chapter 2303, Texas Government Code
- Enterprise Zone Program Rules, 10 TAC 176
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Program Overview
- HUD Section 8 Income Limits by Texas Counties
- Chapter 311: Texas Tax Increment Financing Act
- Chapter 312: Property Redevelopment and Tax Abatement Act
- Chapter 313: Texas Economic Development Act
Texas Enterprise Zones:
- Enterprise Zone Finder on TexasSiteSearch.com
- What is my Block Group?
- Texas Block Group Enterprise Zones 2000 Census [496KB MSExcel]
- Texas Block Group Enterprise Zones 2010 Census [508KB MSExcel]
- 2012-2013 and 2014-2015 Project Deadlines with 90 Day Window [30K MSExcel]
- 2014 Distressed Counties [30KB MSExcel]
- 2013 Distressed Counties [50KB MSExcel]
- 2012 Distressed Counties [28KB MSExcel]
- 2011 Distressed Counties [70KB MSExcel]
- 2010 Distressed Counties [70KB MSExcel]